Those who cause harm often blame their partners for the assaults and do not take any responsibility for the violence they have perpetrated.
Listed below are some characteristics of an abusive partner:
- Threatening – An abusive partner could threaten you, your children or loved ones as a way to get you to comply with their wishes.
- Pushy and/or Aggressive – An abusive partner may be overly pushy and aggressive. They may try to force you to do things when you don’t want to and may display some aggressive behaviours when trying to be extremely manipulative.
- Isolating – An abusive partner could try as much as possible to isolate you from your friends and family. The purpose of this behaviour is to make you solely dependent on them.
- Criticizing – An abusive partner could constantly criticize you (appearance, clothes, family, friends, job, weight, and so on9).
- Indifferent– An abusive partner may act indifferent towards you as a way to get you to “beg” for love, affection, support and attention.
- Manipulative– An abusive partner is extremely manipulative.
- Intimidating – An abusive partner could try to intimidate you with threats in order to keep you in line with their abusive patterns.
- Forceful – An abusive partner may try to push their “weight around” as a way to intimidate or force their will onto you.
- Dominating – An abusive partner will try to dominate and control your every action.
- Insulting– An abusive partner could verbally abuse or constantly insult you (i.e. clothes, weight, hairstyle, etc.)
- Embarrassing– An abusive partner could take pleasure in embarrassing you in front of others.
- “Stalking” – An abusive partner could “stalk” you when you are out with family and friends.
- Intrusive – An abusive partner could go through your personal belonging to see where you went, who you talk to, meetings you’ve had…………
- Moody – An abusive partner may experience some extreme violent and unpredictable mood swings.
- Mean-Spirited/Hateful – An abusive partner may come across as mean-spirited and hateful.
- Degrading– An abusive partner will take pleasure in degrading you in private and in public.
Just because someone blames you, does not make what they’re doing acceptable or your fault.
If you feel your partner does any of the above, ACT ON IT and seek help.